21 Day Fix – Juicy, Blackened Chicken Tenders
Juicy, Blackened Chicken Tenders
Hello, beautiful readers! I’m so glad you’re here! What better way to celebrate than to whip up a batch of Juicy Blackened Chicken Tenders! Agree? Agreed!
I know, I know, I’ve been away for awhile and I apologize for that, however, I have been working on a lot of exciting things that hopefully you will see very, very soon!
One of these “things” I’ve been into is the 21-day fix. Why do you ask? Because I needed a reboot. A reminder if you will of what it is to prepare meals and eat nutritiously. All things I am fully aware of but tend to forget in the busy day to day thing we all call life.
With that being said, this is a super quick post on blackened chicken tenders. This recipe is inspired by my husband, who on the second day of my 21-day fix reset came home and wanted Chicken from a certain establishment who shares the same name with that beloved cartoon character who ate a lot of Spinach! I was distraught. Crying. I wanted fried chicken lol, HOWEVER, luckily, they had the most amazing blackened chicken tenders and I knew that I could make them just as, if not more amazing at home.
The spice mix : Measure out your spices and mix well. Place spice mixture in a pie tin, shallow dish or on a plate.
Transfer your chicken from the brine mixture and place in a strainer to drain excess water. Gently rinse with cold water.
Season each piece of chicken in the spice mixture and set aside on a baking sheet.
Heat up cast iron skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil and place two to three tenders in at a time. Grill for 2 minutes per side just to soften the spices. I absolutely love my cast iron skillet. The one I use is the Cuisinart 9.25″ Grill Pan . This grill pan is cast iron, enamel coated and super affordable! While you are grilling your spices, preheat your oven to 350.
Place your grilled pieces on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Once all tenders have been cooked, place baking sheet into the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve with salad or over salad and enjoy!
Let me tell you (dramatic pause) These.are.amazing.! I must warn you that if you do not like spicy, I would cut down the cayenne pepper and the black pepper. I have a very high heat tolerance and they were super SPICY; I LOVED it. Besides, spice is good for the metabolism, right? Right.
So, that being said…..
Let’s get cooking! I hope you enjoy these and let me know what you think!
- 6 cups warm water
- 2 tbs granulated garlic
- 1-1/2 tbs cracked black pepper
- 2.5 lbs chicken tenderloins
- BLACKENED SEASONING:
- 4 TBS paprika
- 4 TBS Italian seasoning blend
- 2 TBS chili powder
- 2 TBS granulated garlic
- 2 TBS cayenne Pepper
- 2 TBS cracked black pepper
- 1 TSP Celery seed - ground
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place six cups of very warm water into a glass Pyrex pan/bowl. Whisk in garlic and black pepper. Allow to come to room temperature. Once mixture has cooled, place chicken tenders into brine, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Place blackened seasoning mixture into a bowl and mix well. Pour seasoning into a shallow dish or plate. Place chicken tenders into seasoning mixture to coat, set aside on baking sheet.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet, or heavy bottom pan and add 1 tsp of EVOO. Grill chicken tenders for 2 minutes on each side to soften seasoning. Set aside on a clean baking sheet. Place baking sheet into oven and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- If you are following the 21 day fix plan - two chicken tenderloins = 1 serving/1 red (protein)