Black Rice Quinoa Grain Bowls
Black Rice Quinoa Grain Bowls…… DELICIOUS!
Black Rice Quinoa Grain Bowls
Happy New Year Everyone! I hope 2016 is finding you well. I know it’s that time of year when everyone is getting their healthy on. The Gym’s are being flooded with the masses and we are all set to take on the year! I know I am!
About a year ago I found a love for black rice. Pursuing the grocery stores looking for something “different” and always on the hunt for a nutritious something I can add to my family’s dinner, I came upon black rice. What? What is this beautiful bag of goodness? Why I have not ever seen it before? Have I been blind? These are the questions I asked myself when googling the ancient grain. Astonished at my lack of knowledge for something so ancient and very, very nutritious. I mean, all the rage is brown rice, right? I made the decision to purchase the elusive black rice and off I went home to figure out what to do with it. These black rice quinoa grain bowls were a hit!
Make them. Make them often.
There are a few things that you can do to make these black rice quinoa grain bowls a quick and easy weeknight meal. Everything in this dish can be prepared ahead of time for a quick, delicious, meal. If you want to learn how to cook quinoa in a way to coax out all of the delicious flavor, check out my post here on cooking the perfect quinoa.
Prepare your veggies for roasting. Slice your peppers, onions and zucchini and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.
Cook your black rice according to recipe directions (which differ from the package) and quinoa (using my perfect Quinoa instructions) as well as your roasted pork.
All of the prepared ingredients will lay atop a bed of fresh spinach.
The whole family really loved these black rice quinoa bowls. You can add any type of protein you like to them as well. We have done them with steak as well as chicken and they are just as delicious!
So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get cooking!
- 12 oz. roasted pork loin (or protein of your choice)
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup black rice
- 2 Yellow Pepper
- 2 Red Peppers
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 2 medium red onions
- 6 cups organic spinach
- 3 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
- Sriracha, hot sauce, dressing - optional
- Prepare 12 oz. roasted pork or protein of your choice (3 oz. per serving)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice and quarter peppers, onion and zuchinni and place on a baking sheet. Add kosher salt and black pepper, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Place veggies in the oven and roast to your liking or approximately 1 hour.
- Prepare the Quinoa: Rinse one cup of quinoa and add to a pan with 3 tbs olive oil. Toast for approximately five minutes. Place Quinoa in a 2.5qt stock pot and add 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer, covered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minute, covered, then fluff with fork.
- Prepare black rice: Add 1 cup of black rice to 3 cups of chicken stock or cooking liquid of your choice. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Check for doneness to your liking.
- Place 2 cups of spinach into a deep bowl. Mix Quinoa and Black Rice together and add in center to top of spinach. Add 3 oz. of protein as well as a mixture of roasted vegetable. Top with Sriracha, hot sauce, or dressing of your choice.
AS I mentioned in the post, all of the components to these delicious grain bowls can be made ahead of time for a quick weeknight meal!